Sunday, August 9, 2015

Yasmine: Blog Post 4+5

Microaggressions and other inequalities will inevitably persist largely due to the dominant middle class culture of power. Discuss.

Honestly I believe that Microagressions will continue to persist due to the fact that we judge everyone through their appearance. We judge through race, the way that one dresses, etc, and it will continue no matter what. Media also support these microagressions because without these microagressions, they wouldn't be able to make their shows or articles 'entertaining' for the public. The middle class is humongous, and therefore, we continue to make these stereotypes that persist continuously. Microagressions started in the past, and it still continues to persist today. If it can live for that long, then it can still live for a much longer time. We've integrated it into our everyday lives, and we can't take it out because we're so used to having it in our lives.

Given your understanding of intentional and unintentional racism both through teacher-student interactions and curriculum development, how would you encourage diversity in the classroom?

I believe that in order to be diverse, you need people of different cultures in the same classroom. Not only that, but also people of different races, and people who are from different countries. I would try to integrate these aspects in class by splitting up students by different cultures, so that every table has at least people who don't have the same culture as the person sitting next to them. Culture is an important aspect of diversity and I want to spread it through out my class. Also, I wouldn't let females sit with females and males sit with males because it will cause them to be more sexist towards the other gender.





No comments:

Post a Comment