I
partially agree with the statement: Micro
aggressions and other inequities will inevitably persist largely due to the
dominant middle class culture of power. I agree with the argument that
the dominant culture of power is currently what is perpetuating micro
aggressions but I think these inequalities fall more down to being white or
part of the dominant class and less to one’s socioeconomic status. I feel that
the reason why micro aggressions and other inequities exist is because the
dominant class has the privilege of not having to pay attention to these
things. Having the most social capital and not having to address these issues,
is the reason why these things are ignored or looked over, because they are not
prevalent to the dominant class. Any issue that falls down to how society
perceives people isn’t easily solved but I think the first step in changing anything
is acknowledging the existence of micro aggressions and inequities.
While the white dominant class is
perpetuating the issue, they are simultaneously the solution. Of course it’s
important for everyone to be aware as possible about issues and inequities like
this, the only group that truly has the ability/ social power to change
anything is the dominant group. What makes this all so difficult is that even
though politically we are all technically equal, the dominant group assumes
that means issues regarding racism have been eliminated. People no longer have
the same obligation to address these things, because even though the same
issues persist they are even more deeply engrained in the dominant classes’
subconscious. Through social education and awareness of the dominant group from
an early age, I believe that there is an opportunity to make improvements to
how deeply embedded these micro aggressions are in the dominants mind. I think
the success of changing how we view each other will come down to focusing less
on blaming people for their subconscious prejudices and more by trying to
educate people where they are flawed. I definitely don’t think this is an easy
task to unearth prejudices and inequalities that have been instilled in us
since the founding of this country, but if the dominant class is more educated,
they sadly might be the only people who have the social capital to start to
change things.
No comments:
Post a Comment