Microaggressions and other inequities will inevitably persist largely due to the dominant middle class culture of power.
I think that microaggressions will persist forever, or they will be very hard to rid from our society. Although microaggressions still occur, I don’t think that it is because of the dominant culture in the United States, which is the white middle class. I think that they persist because they have been developed throughout our entire history. Something that has been growing with us for that long, is not something that you can just root out of our society. I think that no matter what the dominant culture was, there would still be microaggressions. This is because microaggressions don’t just target one race and they aren’t just used by one race. Everyone has certain microaggressions that come out at different times. Although it will be very difficult I think that it is possible to eventually flush out these microaggressions by teaching our kids about diversity and equality, but it is something that everyone has to be dedicated to. Since kids can be very impressionable, and if one child begins to use microaggressions, then it is something that could easily be spread to all the other kids that are exposed to him. Then it will continue to spread and create a ripple effect where again, everyone is using these microaggressions. This is why I think that it is possible, but very near impossible for us to completely get rid of microaggressions.
No comments:
Post a Comment