Isabel Burga
Affirmative
action was created to help minorities receive the same opportunities as white
people, and with equal qualification, minorities are rewarded the position
instead of whites, in order to achieve equality. It wasn’t put into place to
take away whites opportunities, and to give minorities the power. I don’t think
affirmative action creates reverse racism, I actually think it creates more
racism. White people get more annoyed at minorities because they are taking
away their chances to get jobs, get into colleges, etc. They find that they are
only getting these acceptances purely based on their race, not because they may
be equally or even more qualified then they are for the job or spot. I don’t
think it creates reverse racism though because minorities are not given these
opportunities purely based on their race, they would have the qualifications
for whatever it is that they are applying for if they did receive the spot.
Majority of them probably had to work much harder to even get to apply for what
they are applying for then their white counterparts, which should already show
that they are highly qualified for the spot.
I think affirmative action is a very good thing and it does get us
another step closer to equity, for minorities to be rewarded the same
opportunities as whites, but I think a lot of people don’t understand the point
of affirmative action, which then creates racism. In the end, I think
affirmative action doesn’t create reverse racism, I think the purpose of it is
trying to give equal chances to minorities, but we need to get the message out
their that that is what affirmative action is trying to do, it’s not trying to
take chances away from whites. They have already been given plenty of
opportunities, and I think a lot of white people don’t understand their
privilege of just being a white person and the unintentional privilege they are
given, as shown from the interview with Bill O’Reilly we watched in our PD
session.
No comments:
Post a Comment