Reverse racism is a condition in
which discrimination, sometimes officially sanctioned, against dominant (or
formerly dominant) racial or other group representative of the majority in a
particular society takes place, for a variety of reasons, often as an attempt
at redressing past wrongs (Wikipedia). And this basically all means giving
special benefits or opportunities to a group of people which had been under privileged
in the past. Affirmative actions, or positive discrimination, are the policy of
favoring members of a disadvantaged group who suffer from discrimination within
a culture (Wikipedia). Reverse racism cannot exist. I believe one of the
reasons people may think reverse racism happens because of the guilt some people
may have. Those people may be people that have been more privileged in the
past, or even people that have personally experienced racism. I think with
reverse racism, they are positive and negative effects that could come with it
if it did exist in our everyday lives. The positive being, group that’s may be
underprivileged or considered “unprivileged”, will be able to receive the
chance to gain more opportunities. The negative effect being, with having one
group given more privileges and/or opportunities there will be another group on
the end of the spectrum that won’t have the equal chance. Also people of a minority
race don’t have an equal say when it comes to affirmative action and/or reverse
racism. I do not believe affirmative
action creates reverse racism, because reverse racism does not exist. I think
it is unfair that people discredit other people’s accomplishment based on their
race or if they are considered a minority, and I believe that is what a lot of
people think affirmative action is. But really, affirmative action is to
encourage businesses and schools to hire people of a difference race or gender
that wouldn’t normally be hired. I believe affirmative action encourages
diversity but it does not create reverse racism.
No comments:
Post a Comment